Thursday, March 16, 2023

memories

 It is amazing how powerful music can be


    Several years ago, a much younger friend asked if I was interested in going to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

    To be honest, I had not listened to much of Buffett's music.  I was not a fan.  But I said yes, because she said it would be a lot of fun.

    A bunch of us went to Tinley Park to watch the show, both the show inside and outside.  Parrotheads are a group that knows no bounds when it comes to fun.

    It was a hoot.

    We have gone to several shows since, at Tinley Park, Northerly Island, and Alpine Valley.

    I have had such a great time at each show.  It's like going on vacation and watching a very bizarre movie in the parking lot and a giant sing-a-long on the stage.

    I listen to the Buffett Margaritaville channel on Sirius a lot.  Jackie doesn't much enjoy it, but I just love it.

    The music is joyful, happy, carefree..... well, most of it is.  Sometimes it is funny.  Sometimes it is pretty profound. Some is, well, suggestive.

    But I love his music.

    He's pretty amazing too.  He is older than me, worth about half a billion dollars, performs dozens of concerts a year and shows no sign of slowing down.

    Today during the Buffett Buffet, heard 3 times daily, he was talking to the audience and said, "Hey all you folks out there on the lawn.  I can't see you, but I can hear you.  Who'd think you all would be sitting on a ski slope in Wisconsin in the summer?"

    I'm guessing it was Alpine Valley. 

    And today, when visiting my audiologist, I brought Buffett up in conversation and she said her dad took her to a show years ago in Tinley Park.  Huey Lewis was the opening act and I kind of think our group was at that show.

    She also said she was surprised to see all ages, from young people to her father's age.  Which is the same as mine.

    Anyway, thank you Carrie for needing someone with a van to transport people to that first show.  And thank you and all the others in our little Parrothead group for keeping life fun.

    Now, I'm going to listen to some Jimmy.

Peace and Love


No comments:

Post a Comment