Monday, January 9, 2023

GOOOOOOOAL

 I am not a soccer player


    Never have been.  I am not even a fan, having watched only one or two matches.  Yes, I do watch Ted Lasso, and have learned most of what I know about soccer from that show.

    I walked at the REC today.  One of my NY resolutions is to walk 2 or 3 times a week.  Last week I walked twice, getting in 1 mile both times.  Today I also got a mile in, but caused a minor stir.

    Some young guys were playing soccer 1 on 1.  They had a designated goalie, but the two older guys would try to score against each other.

    They were pretty good, from what I know.

    Anyway, a ball came gently rolling toward me during one of their duels.

    I attempted to kick the ball back to them, using my instep instead of my toe.

    I kicked the ball into the back of the net, which was about a foot to my left.  Nothing in front of me, by the way.

    That was not the worst part.

    I went to pick up the ball and my shoe got caught on the turf.  I went sprawling face down onto the turf.  Grabbing the goal post did not help, but I did manage to move it.

    The guys were stunned.

    I started laughing and told them I was just not very coordinated.  Then I picked up the ball and tossed it to them.

    Maybe not coordinated, but highly embarassed at that point.

    They asked me if I was allright.  The only thing bruised was me ego.

    But I did notice whenever I got near them  again they kept tight control of the ball.

    I bought my winning lottery ticket tonight.

    I buy it at a gas station and I know the clerk.  

    When I went in, I said, "If I buy something that is not good, can I return it for a refund?"

    He said I could not return my losing lottery tickets.

    We also talked about insanity being when you do the same thing over hoping the outcome will change, but it doesn't.  That is what my buying lottery tickets amounts to.

    If I don't buy  them, I am afraid my numbers will win.  But I buy them knowing they won't win.

    Crazy, huh?

    I told Jeff that Jackie doesn't think I could ever win.  I told him when I do, I am going to stand in front of her and do a dance while I burn hundred dollar bills.

    I could hear him laughing all the way out the door.

    

Peace and Love


No comments:

Post a Comment