Monday, April 24, 2023

mow, mow, mow your lawn

 I am not  proud of what I did


    I may curse and complain, but I really do want our yard to look nice.

    That's why I threw grass seed and fertilizer on the front.  And hand pulled garlic mustard weeds last week.  I actually edged along the sidewalk and driveway last year.

    I don't know what happened today.

    I started mowing the front yard.  I was careful to avoid the blue Invisible Fence flags.  I was careful to go slowly to avoid missing parts.

    I was cold.

    When I got to the side of the house, I was a little less careful.  Yes, I hit a flag.  Or two.  Possibly 3.  Bits of blue plastic litter the yard.

    But the back yard.  Whoa!  The back yard.

    I went as fast as I could.  Sometimes I hit a low spot and almost flew off the mower.

    Corners were ragged.  I was cold.

    Blue  flags in the back?  Kept a couple of feet away from them.  Except for the ones I mowed down like sitting ducks in a shooting gallery.

    Beth had a ball in the back yard.  I stayed away from that, too cold to even get off the mower to move it.

    Plus I  mowed short and the grass was long, so there was bunching.  

    I was cold.

    The drain pipes I altered last year so they could be lifted stayed in place and I just mowed around them.  

    I was cold.

    Making a long story short, the grass looks less than good in the back, and pretty good in the front.  

    I won't wait as long to mow next time, so it should not clump.

    But hey, it has been cold and cloudy and wet and I did not think the grass would grow that fast and it did so maybe I should have cut it a little longer but I didn't want to change heights of the mower half way through the cutting and I was too cold to care.

    Part way  through the mow, when my hands turned blue, my nose white and I lost feeling in my toes, I thought how nice it would be to live in a townhouse or condo where someone else takes care of the yard.

    Then instead of mowing, I could have been sipping hot cocoa while watching someone mow.

    Meanwhile, 3 hours later and I am still chilly.

    Damn weather.

    I saw lots of pictures of Northern Lights on Facebook today.  People in Mendota, Princeton, Elgin, McHenry.......people all over saw them.

    But when I went out, I did not.  I saw clouds.  

    Now I wonder if I was the only one in northern Illinois who did not see this amazing spectacle.

    There is a chance they will be visible tonight also, but there is also a chance of rain.  Which means clouds.  

    I will be out of luck, again.

    I just hope it warms up so I can do a better job mowing.

Peace and Love



No comments:

Post a Comment