Saturday, April 30, 2022

I never knew that

I learned an expensive lesson 


    I am not mechanically minded  All I know about a lot of stuff is you turn a switch and it starts.

    If it doesn't, call someone.

    So....that being said....my golf cart runs out of power after about 150 feet.  It says it is fully charged, but it dies.

    I called a couple of places for service.  A neighbor recommended a guy in Mendota, but when I called him he said he doesn't come this far.  He said try a couple of other places.  

    Then 3 days later he called and asked if I had found anyone.  I told him no and he said he would  pick up my cart.

    He came this week.  Nice guy.  The cart had enough power to get out of the garage and onto his trailer.

    Here is the conversation, sort of.

    "Sure sounds like the batteries.  How long have you had it?"

    I told him just about 7 years and it was used.

    "Well, that's about as long as they last.  How was the water when you checked it?"

    Water?  What water?

    "The water in the batteries.  You have to keep the batteries full or they won't hold a charge and eventually die."

    Uh....I have never checked the water in the batteries.

    As he is looking at the batteries, he pulls up this hose and says, "All you had to do was hook up  the pump to this and give it a couple of squeezes.  That will fill the batteries."

    Pump?  What pump?

    "That should have all been in the owner's manual."

    Uh....owner's manual?  What owner's manual?

    "They didn't give you a pump or an owner's manual?  What did they give you?

    A receipt saying I paid for the cart.

    He shook his head.  "They're out of business now.  You can see why."

    He looked at the first  battery.  Surprise?  Dry.  Second battery?   Second surprise, it was dry too.  He didn't bother with the other 4.

    He said he would fill them with distilled water, put a charge on it and see if it holds.  If not, I will need new batteries.   Six of them.  And not cheap.

    My cart and Emily's cart used to be stored duiring winter at the store we bought them and they would do that regular spring get ready to run maintenance.  But when their storage fees went from something like $75 to $195, we decided to store them ourselves.

    I don't know if John checks the batteries, but I will ask him.

    I know from now on I will check them every month and keep them full.  Emily's as well. 

    All I need is a pump.

Peace and Love.  Pray for Ukraine.




No comments:

Post a Comment