Saturday, August 14, 2021

a killing machine

 I turned nto a mass murderer today


    I was sitting on the patio when I noticed a wasp land on the brick wall just about 1 foot from me.  Then I saw another.  And another.  Next I saw one come OUT from between the bricks.  Then another.  And another.

    I know it is best to spray wasp nests at night, but these guys were buzzing around a lot.  So I sprayed between the bricks.  About half an hour later, they were still going in and out, so I sprayed again.  I waited a while, then sprayed a third time.....which seemed to have slowed down the wasp traffic.

    Now, I have a history with wasps.

    I took the family up to my brother's cabin in Wisconsin years ago, for a midweek retreat.

    It's a log cabin.  Nicely built.  Secluded.  Quiet.

    We went in and I noticed a couple of wasps.  I swatted them, and killed them.

    About an hour later, a couple of more. I again swatted them.

    We decided to go into town to buy some spray, which may have been better than me swatting them.

    When we came back, there were more.  And more.  And more.

    We went for more spray.

    When we came back, we discussed what to do.  At one point we thought of leaving because the wasps were coming in somewhere.

    I went to the upstairs bedroom and laid down to think.  I looked over at the log wall and saw wasps coming in from between the logs!  I called and was told where to find some oakum, which I plugged into the hole.

    But wasps were still buzzing around inside the house.

    As I went down the stairs, one of them landed on my.......well, it was a place I was not comfortable hitting hard.  My big fear was it would sting me and cause an unnatural swelling of a ceertain appendage that is not designed to be stung by a pissed off wasp.

    In panic, I brushed it off.  It did not sting.  I remember Jackie watching and laughing at the panic on my face,

    2 cans of spray later, the house was clear of wasps.  I think I swept up 40 or 50 of their bodies.

    And outside the bedroom wall was the biggest nest I have ever seen!  Huge!

    The nest today was not as big, but there are 12 dead wasps on the ground.  I am headed out to spray again because now it is dark.

    I know the critters serve a purpose, but not on my deck.

    I just hope they are not light sleepers.

Peace and Love

No comments:

Post a Comment