Sunday, April 4, 2021

day....ham...393

 We had a great Easter dinner today


    There were a few bumps in the road.

    I bought a 10 pound bone in ham.  There were 4 of us.

    My friend Jeannette gave me directions on how to cook it the way she did for a play I was in 3 years ago.  Each performance called for a ham....and she made 7 or 8 of them during the show's run.  They were all great.

    The plan was to put brown sugar in the bottom of a crock pot, put the ham in, rub some brown sugar on the top, and cook it on low for 6 hours or so.  Jeannette also said the ham should hit 140 after 4 hours, so watch it.

    Problem one was the ham did not fit in the crock pot.  I tried jamming it in, but the lid didn't fit.

    So I put it in a roasting pan and put in in the oven at 200 degrees. Jackie said put it ibn convection mode to create a more even heating.  Well, Hammy hit 147 at about 4 hours.  I put it in at 8:30.  Problem two;  We were eating at 6:30.  I set the oven to warm and hold, but the ham kept heating up.  I finally took it out about 2 and put it on top of the stove.

    Did I mention there were 4 of us for a 10 pound ham?  Plus we had scalloped potatoes, carrots, buns, and taffy apple salad.  And apple pie for dessert.

    I am stuffed.  

    John and Emily will be coming back for ham, and some will get frozen for use later.

    Julia had an exciting Easter in Switzerland.  A group of them rented a chalet up in the mountains and ended up watching fire fighters put out a small fire that was burning just up the mountain from where they were.  She posted video of the helicopters dropping water right behind their place.

    And I finally got my peas planted.  Hopefully the rain will get them off to a good start and the dang birds won't dig for the seeds.

    Hope you had a Happy Easter!

    Stay healthy.  Stay happy.

Peace and Love


No comments:

Post a Comment