Wednesday, May 6, 2020

day .... OMG what have I done? .....50!

The die is cast....I have crossed the Rubicon

     We moved into this house almost 8 years ago.
     I have planted trees and flowers.  I think the landscaping looks ok, but it always seemed to be lacking something.
     Many years I thought of a prairie plot in the back yard.  I had pictures of it in my mind, a 20 x 40 foot space filled with Illinois native plants.  It would be a home to birds, butterflies, bees and whatever else wandered into it.
     The time has come.
     Yes, I may be 72 and almost a full time caretaker.  Yes, I have a lot to do in life without adding another garden.
     Yes, I am crazy.
     I had a friend come over with a rotto tiller and dig up the space.  Today I ordered plants and picked out a huge rock as a center piece.
     My one concession....it's only 6 x 20, about one fourth of what I wanted it to be.
     Plants are expensive is my main reason.  I also want to see how well I can manage it.
     My plan all winter was to get the plants and invite suckers, I mean friends, over to have some doughnuts and coffee and help plant about 100 little delights.  Then we would mulch it and have pizza and wine, pop or beer.
      Covid has changed my plans.
     I won't invite people over.  I will have doughnuts, but only for me.  I will have pizza, but will move the mulch by myself, quietly cursing Covid.  (Like the alliteration?  You are welcome!)
     But when the plot turns beautiful next year, I will have people over to look, comment, and maybe plant some more.
     I just never learn.
     Stay safe.  Stay healthy.  Stay home
Peace and Love


No comments:

Post a Comment