Saturday, March 9, 2019

rip van tinkle

I must have been asleep

     We just watched Bohemian Rhapsody, and it depressed me in many ways.
     First off....Freddie was such a talent.  His vocal range, his persona were all so large and out there.  The music Queen created was also amazing, stuff we never heard on radio before.
     Sadly, AIDS took him too early in life.  Too early.
     When I go visit Julia, I always try to stop at the Freddie statue in Montreux.         He went to the Jazz Festival in 1978 and fell in love with the town, living there for several years.  Queen recorded their last album there. 
     So why was I asleep?
     I started enjoying Queen in the early 2000s.  Freddie died in 1991.
Watching Bohemian Rhapsody brought to mind that I missed Live Aid.  I don't remember watching it.  Or pledging.  I missed Queen in concert. 
     My excuse? I must have been asleep.
     In 1997, Apple stock was under $5 a share.  Seriously.  Then Steve Jobs rejoined the company.  I remember saying to Jackie we should buy Apple stock.  But we didn't.
     Let's see.....if we bought 1,000 shares of Apple in early 1997, we would have spent about $5,000.  Those thousand shares now would be worth....$1,720,000.
      My excuse?  I must have been asleep.
     I didn't see The Beatles.  I missed Bob Dylan, Elton John, Elvis, Simon and Garfunkel.  I was asleep.
     Now I wonder what I am missing.
     Lady Gaga??  Dolly?  Travis Twitt?  Well, no, because country is country and I am not a country guy.
     What I have learned to late is do stuff, buy things, see performances, open your eyes and your mind.
     Otherwise, you end up watching biopics and listening to CDs and imagining you are there.
     Live life now.  No matter the cost.
Peace and Love.



No comments:

Post a Comment