Friday, January 18, 2019

silent night

The snow has finally started 

     It must have been sometime around 9, a little later than expected.
     I went out with Corki at about 10:30 and it was so quiet, just the wind and the snow coming down and the sound of a train on the BN tracks.
     I didn't hear any cars, or dogs barking.  Just quiet.
     I have a fantasy.  I am in a log cabin during a blizzard.  The two room cabin has a huge fireplace and there's an ample supply of wood.  I have a light and provisions, so I can sit and listen to the wind howl while reading a book and sipping some hot chocolate.
     I sometimes think of calling White Pines or Starved Rock right before a blizzard and renting a cabin, but I know Jackie would not appreciate sitting out a raging storm.
     As long as I could flush the toilet, I would be ok.
     We are supposed to get six inches or so.  It feels like a wet snow, so I imagine it will be heavy.  If you have cracked ribs, don't shovel!!
     The problem may be driving over the next couple of days.  So to those doing the Frozen Otter, be very careful during the run and coming home.  Don't do anything foolish.
     When we lived in the old house, I would go out in my sheepskin coat and stand under the pine trees, listening to the wind and the snow coming down.
     After a few minutes, you don't feel the cold and it is so calming and peaceful.
     Then the next day comes and idiots on their snowmobiles will be all over the place, people will be sliding off the road, horns will be honking, planes flying low.......maybe I'll just go back out now and enjoy the quiet.
     Peace and Love

No comments:

Post a Comment