Tuesday, March 6, 2018

please hold....

I bought airplane tickets today

     I am going away later this year and booked my flight today.
     I won't go into details..... yet.  But it should be a fun time.
     I use a credit card that gives me miles as a reward, and my points balance should cover most of the ticket.
     I also have reward miles and figured it would be a good time to upgrade from economy to business.
     So I logged into my account.  Invalid user name. 
     I asked for a confirmation and entered my now corrected user name.
     Invalid account number.
     Fine, I have two numbers, so I will try the next one.
     Invalid account number.
     Thinking I may have mistyped something, I started the whole process over and got the same message.
     So I called customer service.
     A really nice, patient, helpful lady walked me through the steps to reestablish my account.  It took about 15 minutes of wait time and 10 minutes of her help.
    When I said I wanted to use miles to upgrade, she had to transfer me to another person.
     I spent the next 20 minutes playing spider solitaire while on hold.  Now I have not played anymore than one game every other day for the past week.  I was getting bored.
     So I hung up.
     Bright and early this morning I called again.  After a 15 minute wait, I realized I had to use the bathroom.
     Funny thing about being on hold.  They always come on when you are eating, drinking, or in busy in some other way.  Sure enough.  Right at the end of a healthy urination, a woman started talking to me.
     I won't go into detail.  But, I found out I could upgrade to business for 20,000 miles plus $500.  All the options were explained to me......there currently were no business seats available but I would be put on a wait list.  If I was not given a seat the miles and money would be refunded.
     I hemmed and hawed and thought.....geez, $500 is a lot of coffee and wine.
     So I said no, hung up, and immediately regretted it.
     I called the number back, got put on hold for 20 minutes.  I talked to another representative who said I will be put on a waiting list because there were no seats available for upgrades at this time. 
     I figure that means if they can't sell the business seat, they will upgrade me and resell my seat to someone who can't afford business.  I can't afford business, but the upgrade makes it in my income bracket.
     After spending at least an hour on the phone over the two days, I may have an upgrade to business, or I may not
     If I do, great!  I can recline the seat almost all the way and sleep, making my first day in a foreign land more manageable.
     And if I can't.....well, I'll have an extra $500 for coffee and wine.


No comments:

Post a Comment