Sunday, March 24, 2024

trial time

 I am trying something new at bedtime tonight


    I have a little sound machine next to the bed. I hope that can drown out the ringing in my ears that may be affecting my sleep.

    I have it set for wind.  Which is good, I think, considering how windy it is.

    Hopefully the machine will provide a smoothing, relaxing sound that won't disturb Jackie.

    I thought of some of the other options, like rain forest, stream, waterfall, ocean waves.....but I realized that I would be up 10 times a night going to the bathroom with those sounds.

    I think there are some other sounds that would be good.

    Like city sounds.  Fire trucks, ambulances, speeding cars, shots fired, people screaming and the Lithuanian clog dancing team practice in the apartment above.

    Or Cubs Radio announcer Pat Hughes on a loop going, "It's a ground ball to Bryant, he comes up with it and tosses to Rizzo......Cubs Win the World Series!"  I would like to hear a similar call in the future.  This year?  Anything is possible.

    Train whistles.  Never mind, all I have to do is open the windows for those.

    Cats meowing would be another great sound to fall asleep to....or maybe cats purring would be better.

    Lectures on art.  Hell, any lecture on anything.  Or maybe that was just me who often fell asleep during those sessions in high school.  And college.  And building meetings.  And institutes.

    The sound of a shovel scraping snow off a sidewalk, alternating with the noise of a cracking fire.  

    The bustling noises of a busy restaurant, complete with someone dropping a load of dishes and a customer ranting about his order being wrong.

    The old reel to reel lawnmowers that you had to push.  Through in some scent that resembles freshly cut grass and it would be guaranteed to put you to sleep.

    I am not positive the sound machine will replace the CD I play.  The CD is relaxing, but it does not drown out the ringing.  I swear, I hear crickets every day of the year.  And high pitched buzzes.  And voices telling me what numbers to play in the upcoming lottery and not to sell my children to white slavers.

    But in the words of the famous Augustus Simplex, "Deal with it."

    So I will.

Peace and Love


No comments:

Post a Comment