Thursday, February 8, 2024

not me....no siree!

 I got phished today


    I did not take the bait.

    I got an e-mil from Pay Pal telling me that a charge for $888.88 was being made to my account.  If I did not this charge, I should click o the link below.

    Well, I did not make the charge and I did not click on the link below.

    But here is where it gets scary for me.

    I went to Safari and typed pay pal in the search box.

    A message came upon that essentially said my account was suspended due to inactivity and I could reinstate it by logging on to the merchant's website.

    I did not do that either.

    What I did do was go back to Safari and type in PayPal.com, which took me to the official PP page. Eventually I talked to an AI thing which could not answer my question and I get transferred over to a real human.

    I explained to her what happened and she checked my account.  The last purchase was one I recognized, so I felt safe. 

    We then had a nice conversation about phishing and how good some crooks are at doing it.  She also said I followed all the right steps in not answering, not clicking, and checking the real company.

    She sent me an address to send the phony e-mail to so the fraud division could dig into it.  But she could not explain why I got the message about a suspended account.

    The phising e-mail was very convincing.....had our name and came from customer service at pay pal.  

    Just another reason to be wary folks.

    And here's another reason to be wary.

    Ran into a friend at Walmart and she was very embarrassed.

    Seems she saw a woman she thought was her mother.  The lady was bending over one of the produce bins.  So my friend bumped her in the back end and said, "Oh, I am so sorry."

    Then the woman turned around and it was not my friend's mother.  

    Now she really was sorry and apologized a lot.

    I guess I am not the only person who does silly things.

Peace and Love

No comments:

Post a Comment