Friday, September 1, 2023

meaty stuff

 I had 4 simple errands to run

    It should have  taken about 2 hours.  It seemed more like 2 days.

    I was going to buy corn, get milk and yogurt, pick up dinner for tomorrow and pick up dinner for tonight.

    On my way to the corn I saw friends Neil and Kim and talked to them for about 20 minutes.  Not to worry, I was on time.

    Got to the corn stand, which was north of 64 on Chana Road, and talked to the woman there for about 5 minutes.

    I drove to DeKalb, stopped at Starbuck's, went to Hyvee and then to Portillo's for tomorrow's meal.

    Jackie's brother and his wife and sister Judy are coming out and we thought Portillo's would be a nice lunch, considering Bob and Anita are in Florida and not near a Portillo's.

    Julia ordered the food.

    I went in to pick it up.  The lady gave me a box and said, "Be careful, it's hot."

    I thought that was strange because we always heat it in a crock pot.

    I got in the van and called Julia and asked her what she ordered.  She checked and saw she ordered a fast meal pack.....16   4 inch sandwiches, each in plastic wrap and  aluminum foil.  Oops.  Not what we wanted.

    So I went back in and asked the lady how we can keep this until tomorrow.  We can't because the buns will be very soggy.  "These are made to be eaten now."  Can we freeze them?  No.  

    So I ordered the frozen beef, gravy and buns for tomorrow.

    Which means now we have enough for 16 people. 

    I started toward my last stop and thought I didn't get gravy for the beef.  So I stopped, checked the order, and went back to ask for the gravy.

    The lady saw me coming.  I said I didn't get gravy.  She said I did, it was in the plastic bag with the twist tie.  I said I didn't see it.

    So she walked with me out to the van and we opened the bag and ..... voila!...gravy.  I felt pretty stupid.  But she laughed, I laughed and all was good.

    My last stop was to pick up tonight's supper, which was Mexican from a place in DeKalb.  Now I have enough food for 20 people.

    But being the creative problem solvers we are, we called Sheri, Beth, and Nadine and they came to our rescue.  We talked, visited, and ate. With Emily, Julia, Jackie and me, it made for a fun group.

    Tomorrow I get to do it all over again.

    The Mexican food?  Put off until Sunday.

    My 2 hour errand run?  Almost 4 hours,

    But it was worth it.  Turned out to be a pretty darn good day!

    And it would have been a great day if the Cubs hadn't blown the second game of the double header.  Oh well....can't win them all.

Peace and Love

No comments:

Post a Comment