Tuesday, September 12, 2023

What's new?

Our computer, for one thing


    I took our computer in for a check on why it was so slow.

    In case you missed it, Emily suggested that during Covid but I did not act on that.  I did two calls with Apple reps where they walked me through possible fixes and none of those worked.

    I tried making an appointment with the genius  bar, but could not.  Julia finally made one for me under the "hard drive malfunctioning" category.

    So, a nice technician named Felipe (and I am sure that is not how he spells his name) ran some diagnostics and everything seemed to be working fine. He then said he wanted to run a deep diagnostic test, which could take 3 hours or more.

    If it showed a repair was called for, they would check to see if the parts were available, then order the parts, then call me to approve a repair.

    He also mentioned ours was actually a "vintage" machine because it was 8 years old.

    We sat and talked for a while and it was a real pleasure to talk to him.  We got on the topic of stories and I told him I am a writer, but one who does not finish the stories.  He said he always wanted to write a story based on his family, with some fiction thrown in.  Unfortunately his dad died 10 years ago and all he hears from his relatives is how interesting the man's life was.

    His family is from Mexico and one family story has a distant relative a long time ago once found some people watering horses in a stream by his home.  He talked to tone man for a while, then went home.  When he got home is wife was glad to see he was ok and not hurt.  The man said he was fine and had a nice talk with the people getting water.

    His wife said, "You know the man you were talking to is Pancho Villa."  

    The relative did not know.

    I told him to talk now to the older folks in his family.  Get their stories now, because if you wait, you lose them.

    I left the store, called Jackie, and she said buy a new computer.  Julia and Emily agreed.  It made no sense to repair a computer that was 8 years old.

    Anyway, I have a new computer.

    I always have trouble finding the Apple Store in Naperville.  So I asked Siri for directions.

    At first she had me going south on 251, but I had to get gas.  After I got gas I got on 38 heading for 39.  Siri told me to go NORTH toward Rockford.  I knew that wasn't right, so I went the way I would normally go to Naperville.

    The directions helped especially in getting to downtown Naperville.  It is a convoluted route.

     I asked for directions home.

    "You have no home," Siri said.

    I told her I did.  It was in Rochelle.  We started there this morning.

    "You have no home," she repeated.

    Next, I said to take me to DeKalb.

    And Siri gave me directions.  I followed them.  Never again.

    I ended up on Il 38 in West Chicago.  

    To get to. that spot I had to make an illegal left turn, avoid getting hit by a gravel truck, turn around, get back one the right track and continue following her directions.  I assumed when we crossed over the tollway she would have a route to get on the tollway, but I guess not.

    It all worked outl.  It just took me a little longer.

    The new computer has a smaller screen, which may take a while for me to adjust to a screen smaller than the 27 inch one I had.  

    I also left the old computer with them to environmentally recycle.  Felipe said he would erase everything since I told him it was all backed up.

    We will see if that is true.

    Julia spent 90 minutes reestablishing accounts.  That was a big help, because I would still be trying to figure out how to do this blog.

Peace and Love





No comments:

Post a Comment