Monday, July 24, 2023

Seriously

 I learned something today 


    It didn't make me happy, either.

    I am reading a book called "Every Goddamn Day," by Neil Steinberg.  He is a columnist for the Sun Times.  He researced every day of the year in Chicago's history and put together the weirdest, strangest, saddest stories for each day of the year.

    My original play was to read each day as it happened.  Well, I just finished May.

    The stories are not long, but hey are insightful.

    For example, on May 28, 1962 Buck O'Neil sat on the Chicago Cubs bench.  He signed Ernie Banks to the Kansas City Monarchs and then brought him to Chicago to meet the Cubs.

    On May 28, 1962 he could sit on the bench because he was a coach.  The first African American coach in baseball.

    Previous to this he travelled with the team but could not sit on the bench in some cities because he was not white.  He had to have permission from the home team, and some teams denied him because of his color.

    As coach, he did not need the other teams permission.

    I would have been 14 when this happened.

    It amazes me this was happening in 1962, especially when Jackie Robinson had already broken the barrier a decade before.

    It also amazes me that this like this still happen today.  

    Many people just can't seem to get past the color of a person's skin.

    Buck signed another player for the Cubs.  He brought Lou Brock to the team.  As you know, Brock was traded to St. Louis for a pitcher who, well, stunk

    Also as you know, Brock and Banks are both in the Baseball Hall of Fame.  And so is Buck O'Neil.

    That's what I learned today.

Peace and Love


No comments:

Post a Comment