Monday, July 3, 2023

alls well....

 We are nearing the end of our adventure


    Tomorrow Sheri and Cathy head for Milan.  Dan, Linda and I are heading toward Zurich.  Julia will be driving us to various train stations then she will be staying here for a few days.

    I think we are going out with a bang.

We bisited Gruyere today.  If that sounds familiar, it is because there is a famous cheese made here.  It's called Swiss cheese.  Just kidding.  It is Gruyere cheese and it is very good.

    Any photos going with this will be totally out of any sequence, so I will give you the gist of the day.

    We boarded a train to start us on the journey to Gruyere.  Simone and Afi, friends of Julia's,  joined us and they were shocked and pleased to see we were on the "pretty" train.

    And it was pretty. .  This train was made up of vintage cars and they were beautiful in detail and condition.  It was great to ride in them, even better now that they are air conditioned.  Jackie would have liked that 18 years ago.,

    Gruyere  was a fortified city at one point over the last 3 or 4 hundred years.  Now it is a museum of sorts and can be toured.   

    It is an amazing place.

    I often wonder how fortresses and castles were built without the tools we have today.  I can't imagine lifting all the stones up to build the walls, or cutting the massive wooden beams by hand.  You get the idea.

    Dan, Julia and Nam met us there.

    We wandered the town, explored the castle, took a lot of pictures and had  lunch at a local place that had fondue.  Four of us had fondue, and others  had a variety of dishes, all of which looked and tasted great.

    We headed back to Vevey and were scheduled  to meet long time friend Craig at  Charlie's on the lake.

    Most of our group opted to go back to the hotel to pack.  Me, being me, knew I was just going to throw stuff into a suitcase and hope for the best.....so I stayed for a glass of wine.

    Craig arrived, we had a great reunion and I even Facetimed Jackie so she could talk to Craig.

    Someone suggested going down the lake do a restaurant that served GREAT perch fillets fried in butter. I was in on the idea a second.

    After eating way more than I should, we said our goodbyes and Julia and I went back to the hotel.

    Sheri and Cathy came to say goodbye because they are leaving early in the morning.

    Now I am done packing.  I hav e a couple of things to do, but I am 

    And would you believe I forgot to take a picture at supper?  Damn.

Peace and Love


)n the pretty train


Watching the view

The train takes you up above Lake  Geneva

Gruyere

Stone floor in the castle

Massive fireplace

All this was done by hand!

Note the wheelchair....one of the castles occupants was paralyzed

Gardens were beautiful


painted ceiling

The knights' room

knight's room wall scene


Fondue



Nam, Matt, Juha and Craig

Just hanging with Charlie....this photo is mandatory when visiting Vevey



No comments:

Post a Comment