Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Happy Thanksgiving

 I am feeling a littlestressed


    We brined a turkey this year.

    It is a kit;   bag, seasonings, instructions.

    I read the instructions, Juilia read the instructions, then Jackie read the instructions.  

    When it came time to prepare the turkey for the brine, Julia read so I did not mess it up.

    We were doing really well.  Turkey was in the roasting pan, huge bag was filling up with water.  I counted each measuring cup I poured in, because I needed to take some out to mix the seasonings.

    Then all hell broke loose.

    The turkey shifted, the bag went over the side, water went over the counter, on the floor.  We used up all the rags we could find.

    When we put it upright and discovered there was a leak.  And another leak.

    So we put it in a canning pot, so the juice would not run out all over the place.

    It reminded me a little of the first time I met my brother's in law in laws.  

    It was for a christening, and  afterward we gathered at their house for lunch and drinks.  

    This was years ago.  

    I remember the food was late and when it arrived, it was delivered by an overweight clown driving a VW bug.  Now, by clown, I mean the floppy feet, red nose, weird outfit type..  Brother in law Bob and I followed that clown all over, making comments that probably should not have been made.

    But the day got worse.

    I had been drinking rum and cokes that Bob had been mixing.  When the food finally came, I ate and had another rum and coke.

    Suddenly, the room felt funny.  Very hot.  My stomach started twirling around inside my body.

    There was a little bathroom right off the family room.

    I went in, closed the door and started throwing up in the toilet. To cover my noise, I turned the water on in the sink.

    My head was over the porcelain throne when water started dripping on me.  I looked up, and I swear I saw trhe scene from Fantasia where Mickey is caught in the flood with only a mop and a bucket.

    Waves of water started pouring over the sink.  I could not move to turn off the water.  People started knocked at the door.  I was still being sick.

Eventually I stopped tossing lunch, breakfast and the prior weeks entire dinner menu.  But my problem was the wet carpeting.

    So.....looking around I found a face cloth.  I spent who knows how long sopping up water from a soaking wet rug using a face cloth.

    It was an impossible task.

    I left the room, found Jackie, and told her we had to leave and she was driving.

    I was young.  I was always embarassed about it, but never mentioned it to the hostess.

    A few years ago I ran into her at another family gathering and she said, "Of course I remember Terry.  He flooded my bathroom!"

    Have a happy Thanksgiving.  Don't eat too much, and don't drink too much.  The rug you save might be an in laws.

Peace and Love

No comments:

Post a Comment