Friday, January 28, 2022

It was an Otis day

 I sure had some ups and downs today


    I guess I should say we had some ups and downs today.

    Jackie had an appointment with the Botox Queen in Rolling Meadows.  We were a little concerned with the weather forecast, but in the end that was not a factor.

    I wheeled her out to the car at 11:45 for the 1:30 appointment.  We left a little early  because I needed gas.  In the car.

    This is how we do it:

    Roll her to the open door.  Put the brakes on the wheelchair.  She leans forward.  I hook my arms under the armpits.  She pushes,  I left and turn.  She sits on the seat.  I lift her legs into the car.   All is well.

    I don't know what happened.

    I lifted, she pushed, I turned, she missed the seat.  She slid gently to the garage floor and I went to get Julia.

    We got her under the arms and lifter her, moving her to the seat.

    Made it to the doctor's office in plenty of time.  She got her Botox injections, 7 or so in various parts of her legs, and we got ready to go.

    I opened the car door, moved the chair, put the brakes on, lifted her......and she missed the seat. I tried lifting her legs and butt, but I am not strong enough.

    So she slid to the pavement.

    Here we are in the doctor's office parking lot on a 14 degree day and she is laying on the blacktop.  No one was around. No sense going into the building, because it is an 8 story office building and I would have to leave her laying on the pavement.

    I tried getting her up, but that was no use.

    A car pulled into the next space and the driver asked  if I needed help.

    So, we tried to pick her up.  We missed the chair again.  Down onto the pavement she slid.

    We tried picking her up but the two of us were having a tough time.

    I look down and Jackie is laying on the pavement with her shirt and coat pulled up around her shoulders!  It was like she was flashing this guy, who was about the same age as me.

   She was flat on the ground, making it hard to get her shirt down over the bra.  Luckily, it's a new bra and very stylish!

    At this point I thought of calling the fire department for help. 

    But we gave it one more try.  

    We got her up into the wheelchair.  

    Then I moved her to the door, lifted while he pushed, and she finally made it to the seat.

    I thanked him several times.  He had a young person in his car who had a wheelchair also, but she was small. Her medical problems were much worse than Jackie's, which is so sad to see in a youngster.

    He easily lifted her out of he van and strapped her into her chair, as I thanked him yet again.

    We met Jackie's sister Judy at Portillo's for lunch, but Jackie didn't eat  because at this point she was pretty worn out and sore, but not from the falls, which were actually slides down the side of the car moves.

    After a short visit, we headed home.  

    As her reward, I did stop in North Aurora for a chocolate malt for her, but even when we got home she did not have much of an appetite.

    That turning seat would have made all the difference today.  I think it is time.

Peace and Love


No comments:

Post a Comment