Saturday, September 29, 2018

Ahhhhh.....homecoming

I love looking at the homecoming pictures

      The pictures remind me of my youth......but I don't think I ever went to homecoming.
     I did ask a girl.  Her name was Mary Jane and she was a freshman, like me.
     My pops had sent me to pick up a pizza at a place called Biasetti's just a couple of blocks from my house in Chicago.
     I met Mary Jane on the way home.  I had a crush on her, and when I saw her, I knew I had to ask her to homecoming.
     So there I stood, talking to Mary Jane.  Holding the pizza under my left arm, sort of like a football.
     I eventually asked her and she politely told me she was not allowed to date until she was 16.  I believed her, although I had no idea if she was telling the truth or just being nice.
     What I remember most about the experience is slowly walking home and delivering the pizza, which by now had tumbled into a huge mass on the side of the box.
     I don't remember if they ever sent me for a pie again.......
    And I never asked Mary Jane out again, even when she was 16.
     By the way, we ate the pizza.  It was still good.  Messy, but good.
     Dance well my young friends....dance well.  But carry your pizza flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment