Thursday, April 12, 2018

batter up

I have my first Cubs game tomorrow

     Four of us bought 8 packs for Friday games.  Most games start at 1:20, but there are a couple of 3 p.m. starts too.
     I love going to the ball park, but I am wondering how long I will enjoy the Wrigley experience.
     We had been sitting in the 400 section, which is the lower part of the upper deck.  We had pretty good seats.
     This year we are in the 500 section, just above the walkway in the upper deck.
     The explanation I was given was with the new clubhouse, some season ticket holders had to move.  They moved into the 400 level, which pushed the 400 level people up.
     No big deal if the seats are good.
     The clubhouse.  It's the American 1914 or something like that.  If you buy a seat in the first seven rows between the dugouts, you are buying a club membership.
     There are about 700 spots available, and they were sold pretty quickly.
     The price includes game admission and unlimited food and drink in a below ground, climate controlled, restroom equipped space that looks like a hotel lobby/old pub.
     The price depends on if you are in the front of the seven rows or the back.  If you are in the back part of the seven rows, a season ticket is priced at $400 per game, or $32,400 per season ticket.  Sitting in the front row sets you back about $56,000 per ticket.  (Pink hat had several season tickets......and I believe club membership is mandatory in those seats.)
     The most disturbing news is there are 3 other clubhouses planned, including one under the press box on the upper level behind home plate.  Currently that is a handicapped seating area, and has some of the best views in the park.  My guess is that seating will have to be relocated.
     The clubhouse that just opened is the most expensive one, but he others are not that much cheaper that the average schmuck like me will be able to afford a ticket, much less a season ticket.
     So I wonder if the future Wrigley will have a place for those of us who love the Cubs, and love going to a game at The Beautiful Confines.
     Or will I just have fond memories in my doddering old age.
     Time will tell.
     Go Cubs.  Let's play two!


No comments:

Post a Comment