Friday, May 26, 2017

what a drive

I had a horrible commute today

     One part was scary.
     I was on 88 near 47 in the right lane, doing 70.  I noticed two cars catching up to me,  one in the left lane and one in my lane.
     They were both doing better than 70 and the lady in my lane could not safely pull in  front of the person in the left lane.
     I thought she was going to hit me!  She was literally inches off my bumper.
When the left lane car cleared, she pulled out and was inches off that driver's bumper.  She then pulled right in front of me to pass the other car, but a truck was in the right lane and the driver in the left lane sped up to prevent her from passing!
     So she pulled behind the person again and he slowed down so that he was even with the truck, which was doing about 65.
     I decided to slow waaaaay down, because I did not want to get in the middle of crazy people with road rage.
     I don't know what happened to them.  I didn't see any accidents, so they must have figured a way to work it out but they drove like that for a couple of minutes, possibly until the road expands to three lanes.
     Then on Ogden Avenue I had a 10 minute wait because an accident closed one lane in the intersection.
     Now close to being late I was approaching the home stretch when I see a fire truck coming toward me.  So I pull over.  After the fire truck was an ambulance.  And another fire truck.  All with lights flashing.  After the third truck was a hearse and about 50 cars.  It wasn't a fire, but it was a funeral.  I stopped in front of a church.  So did they.  When it was apparent they were not emergency vehicles on a call, the line of pulled over cars, including me, began moving forward.
     And a warm, sunny day draws crowds....which means another traffic back up at an entrance to a popular tourist destination in Brookfield, the same place I was headed.
     It was tough coming home too.  The rain slowed everybody down and I think I averaged something like 35 between Oakbrook and Orchard Road.  A looong commute.
     One thing I did notice.  I was taking a different route to Oakbrook and passed a subdivision called Sherwood Forest Estates......it was right around the corner from Robin Hood Homes.  Seriously.
     I laughed.
     The drive wasn't too bad though, because I listened to the Beatles channel on Sirrius, and that was pretty darn neat!

No comments:

Post a Comment