Thursday, May 11, 2017

how old am I?

Today was my birthday

     I turned 69. So tomorrow, am I really 70?  I mean our first birthday was on the anniversary of our birth, which is means it was at the end of our first year.
    It's like  a ruler.  I just went past the one inch mark, which means I am more than an inch!  I am done with 69 years and starting 70.
    Either way, I am old.
    I think of all the major events in my life and it is truly amazing.
    I lived through the Bowling Green Massacre.  I don't remember when it was, but I must not have been there.
    The Cubs won the World series in 08 and again in 16.
    I lived through the coldest winters in 100 years in 52, 76, 83, 92, 93 and almost every year since.
    I didn't see the Beatles in concert, not once, but several times.
    I saw computers go from the size of a room to the size of a wrist watch.  Never once did I learn how to operate them.  Any of them.  Basics.  That's all I know.  This Apple  is just a word processor, a telephone party line and a lot of decks of cards, just on a screen.
    I became less concerned with MPG and more with MPC.  That's miles per cup, because as the prostate grows, the distance travelled has an inverse relationship to the amount of water drunk.  I wrote this and even I don't understand it!
    I've seen people rise way past their incompetence level.
    I've learned from very knowledgeable people that the earth is indeed flat; man never landed on the moon; the Abominable Snowman is real; aliens are being held in a secret desert location called Area 51; climate change is not a problem unless you live near an ocean or depend on food grown by farmers; Elvis is alive and working as a Walmart greeter in Altoona, PA; as well as a whole lot of other stuff I can't remember.
    And that's that.
    Thank you for all the birthday wishes and thoughts.
    I truly value all of you, your friendships, the caring you show to Jackie and me as well as Julia, Emily and John.... much more than I can put into words.
   Thank you for being there for me.  You really don't know how much it means.
   Goodnight, and God bless.





No comments:

Post a Comment