Friday, May 5, 2017

RIP my friend

I lost a memory today

    For years, I had wanted to go to the Renaissance Faire in Bristol Wisconsin.
But despite the fair running my entire lifetime, I didn't make it until I was 65.
    Emily, John and Camryn took me and it was a blast.
    Weird people in costumes, many of them visitors.
    Seeing my friend Terry on stilts, towering over the crowd, was pretty cool.  I had a turkey leg, and that picture stayed as my Facebook profile for longer than it should have.  I think DZ and Bob went with that year.
    And I bought a mug.
    Not just a mug, but a huge, hand tossed, glazed, with a Druid symbol.  At least I think it was a Druid symbol.  I used to know.  But I used to know a lot of things.  I think that is not what they mean by brain drain.
    But I digress.
    My nightly decaf tea mug.  My morning hot tea mug.  My afternoon tea mug.  My favorite mug.
    Tonight I was emptying the dishwasher, which I have done hundreds of times.
     I put away the plates, the bowls, the glasses, then the mugs.
     OK, Jackie thinks I am weird.   Our plates have two colors in their patterns, red and blue.  I stack them red, blue.  The big plates.  The small plates.  The bowls.  Although sometimes the bowls get stacked blue, red.  Never two colors together, unless I am short a dish.
    And I load the dishwasher that way.  Red plate, blue plate.  All bowls are on the top rack.  All small glasses go together.  All big glasses go together.  All cups are at the back of the dishwasher, unless it is really full and I have had a lot of tea.
     You get the picture.
     I see you rolling your eyes.  I do it that way for the same reason I check doors twice at night.  And open the garage door and look in the garage.  And why I ended up taking 10 minutes of my lunch break today to walk to my car to be sure I did not leave the keys and cell phone in it because I could not remember if I put them in my coat pocket and put my coat in a locker in the basement at the zoo and I was worried I left the keys and phone on the front seat where anyone could steal it and the car.  But they were in my coat pocket.
     But I digress.
     Anyway, I was taking out the cups and......
     Well.....

     It slipped out of my hand and hit the floor.
     I am depressed.  But I am also happy because in a little over two months, I can go back and buy another mug.
    Silver linings....silver linings.

No comments:

Post a Comment