Sunday, May 1, 2016

something tells me it's all happenin' at the zoo......

I went to a zoo dinner today

     This is an annual event and honors all the volunteers.  Last year, Emily and John were invited and met the CEO of the zoo and sat at the honored table.  The people knew about the tornado, and following the dinner a collection was taken up for Emily and John.
     Total strangers gave them money or gift cards to help rebuild their lives.  It was amazing.
     Today they honored volunteers for 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40 and 45 years of service.  l can't imagine doing anything for 45 years.
     Each volunteer that had a chance to speak said the same thing.  Volunteering at the zoo makes them happy.
     That's why I do it.
     This dinner is difficult for me.  You may find this hard to believe, but in a new group of people I am kind of quiet.  It took me about half an hour to talk to the people at our table.
     Anyway, a fun time was had by all.

     We did get a chance to meet some zoo ambassadors up close and personal.

A wallaby was there

Jackie and a llama



     When I was little, I used to visit my Aunt Bea's house, just a few blocks from the zoo.  I have fond memories of going there on summer days and riding the train around the park, feeding the animals (yes, years ago you could feed the animals!  Turns out not to be good for the animals!!), and wanting to see more and stay longer.
     One of the vivid memories I have are of the signs.
     The zoo has preserved some of them, and looking at them brings back so many memories of my childhood and those long gone aunts, uncles and cousins.





     The signs were created in the 1930s as part of Roosevelt's WPA in combating the Depression.     Some of the signs have been saved and are on display.  Signs are about 3-4  feet high and the colors are very vivid. Signs were designed, then hand carved, painted, coated with a preservative and placed around the zoo.
     I don't know if any of you older folks remember these....... I still think they are pretty darn cool!


No comments:

Post a Comment