Saturday, May 21, 2016

hooked on 50s

I recently subscribed to satellite radio

     I got an offer in the mail for $20 for 4 months....so I subscribed.
     We have Sirius in the van, and I had it free for a year when I bought my Honda, but I didn't want to pay the high price they charge so I dropped it.
     Now, I love it, again.
     I am hooked on the 50s channel though.  Whenever a Buddy Holly, or Jerry Lee Lewis or Chuck Berry comes on, I crank the volume up.  Maybe that explains my hearing loss!
     I also like the 60s station, and Underground Garage, and Margaritaville, but right now I am time warping to the 50s.
     And it is funny how some songs bring back instant memories.  My Uncle Ernie had an old Wurlitzer in the basement of his house on the west side in Chicago.  There was a collection of 45s that we could play when we went to visit.   A song came on the radio and my mind was filled with an image of Uncle Ernie's basement.  He and his wife were good laughers.
     He also had a slot machine in the basement.  It took nickels and I think I may have paid for a trip or two of his to Ireland.  I was not lucky, but I was persistent.
     This was a time period when Little Richard was causing white middle age parents to have strokes because their teen age kids liked his music.  He was not white, which caused some concern in middle America.  So did Fats Domino.
     It's also funny to hear Perry Como try to sing rock.  Or Dean Martin.  Yet they were there, along with a whole bunch of Bobby guys.
     Johnny Cash was there, so was Frankie Avalon and teen heart throb Ricky Nelson, whose father really did know best.  Didn't he?  Ozzie and Harriet.  Great people.
     But a couple of songs I have not heard were comedy songs.  One involved a space alien (I had to qualify this with the use of the word space so you didn't think I was talking Mexicans, Muslims, Russians, or anyone else from earth) invasion of Earth.  It was done as a news cast, and they used cuts from different songs.  Maybe that is where I got my weird sense of humor.
     Anyway, it's a good thing, memories.   And so is Sirius XM.
   






No comments:

Post a Comment