Friday, May 13, 2016

chasing a ghost

I don't think I ever knew my dad

     I may have mentioned this before.  He was older when he married my mother, and 48 when I was born.  We never talked and as a kid, I was never interested in his life story.
     For some reason, now I am.
     I know he came from Europe when he was a baby, coming in through Boston, not Ellis Island.
     I know he served in the Army during WW I, being in boot camp when the war ended.
     In the mid 1920s he went west, and I think he drove with a group of people.  But I am not sure.
     I like to think my kids know me, the things I have done in life and the places I have gone.
     But when I was young, that didn't interest me.  I didn't care about his life as a teen or young man.
     Now, I wish I had the chance to ask.
     I did ask y mom, but she didn't know much about his life before they met.
     Anyway, I am not the type to go on ancestry . com to find out, because I procrastinate too much.  I would sign up for a membership, then three months later realize I hadn't done anything with it except pay the fee.
       Oh well, I guess what I don't know won't hurt me.
       But as a friend said tonight, "You may have a whole different family."
       I may....just hope they are rich and generous.



No comments:

Post a Comment