Wednesday, May 4, 2016

outta my zone

I talk a walk outside my comfort zone today

     I go to church in DeKalb.  Four or five years ago, we started an outreach program that had us giving candy and water to students passing by the church the week before spring finals.
     The candy has a little Bible verse on it, and the water has a Prayers 2 Pass label and a Bible verse.
     Now folks, I am not outwardly religious.  I am not comfortable telling people about my religion, or my beliefs, or my convictions for minor moral offenses.
     I believe, I pray, but I don't go around telling people.  It's just me.
     So Prayers 2 Pass is a step out of my comfort zone because as strangers approach, we greet them, offer them candy and water, tell them about our prayer "wall" and the secret prayer box and then wish them good luck with finals.
     I don't do this by myself, there was a group of us in front of Grace Place at Lucinda and Normal just across from the student center at NIU.
     For the first hour of the 10-1 time period we had a table at the church, but the traffic pattern was pretty light, so we moved.
     And yes, I always make the joke about I can't do this by myself because an old guy offering young girls candy could be taken the wrong way.
     I enjoy the day while at the same time fearing it.
     Sometimes I probably come across as goofy, as when a young man said he wanted prayers for his mental health.  As he was leaving I said, "You have to remember Annie.....The sun will come up tomorrow. Tomorrow will be a brighter day."   He looked at me like I was a goofy old man.
     A business major hurrying to class asked for prayers because his laptop was stolen.  I can't imagine a semester's worth of notes, papers, assignments all gone.
    A very nicely dressed student told us she was a design and fashion major, which would explain why she looked so nice.
     And the number of young people on their phones as they walked, talking, playing games, messaging, ignoring us, was pretty significant.  And I understand that, kids don't want a speech on church and religion when they are walking to class.  And we don't do that, we just offer water, candy, and an opportunity for a prayer if they want one.
     As I drove home, all those faces passed before me.
     They may be seniors, or juniors, or grad students, but they are all young, and may be afraid, unsure of themselves and the future, worried about grades, graduation, jobs, or the health of a family member.
     They may be hungry.  Grace Place has a food pantry for students, and it has about 70 clients each time it opens.  We don't think about hungry students at a university.  It just doesn't click with me, but they are there.
     And the whole experience makes me wish I could do more to ease the mental burdens of these kids, the kids that someday will be running our country.
     We need to take better care of them now, when they need it.





No comments:

Post a Comment