Friday, August 30, 2024

word smiths

I often wonder who made the word 

    Why is a door a door?  What prompted someone to come up with that sound for that object?

    I got to thinking of t hat today.  Julia's trusses were delivered for her house.

    Now, who decided it was trusses?  I wonder if tresses, or locks of hair, was the basis.  The trusses are the hair on a house, so maybe some person altered the word.

    I can imagine some conversations.

    "Let's go sit around the pile of wood that is throwing off heat," said Grog.

    "Why don't we call it fire and save time?" Mrs. Grog replied.

    Or. maybe someone was dyslexic.  

    "The wind is coming through the hole in the side of the house.  Put something over it." Mrs. Sodbuster said.

    Mr. Sodbuster nailed a buffalo hide over it and said, "No wind, now."  That eventually became wind no, which became window.

    Clear as mud, right?

    Anyway.....  I have not used my cooling blanket yet.  I always wash stuff before I use it.  Except socks.  I just wear the socks.  But everything else gets washed.

    The instructions were to wash on cold delicate.  I did.

    Then to line dry or air dry.

    I put it in the dryer and set the dial to air dry.  I also set it for 30 minutes.  It was pretty damp.  So I set it for 40 minutes.  It was still damp.  Then I set it for 35 minutes.  It was still damp.

    Next I spread it out over two chairs in the bedroom, but I just checked and it still feels moist.

    So.... what do they mean when they say air dry?  Discussion in our house was it means put it out in the sun, or in the air, but I countered that is the same as line dry.  Air dry is the setting on the dryer.

    In any case, it is still not dry enough to use.  Or is it?  Maybe I feel something that is not there.

    Hopefully by the end of summer I will be able to use it and not wake up in a sweat at night.

    Hopefully.

    Gonna pick beans tomorrow.  Totally random thought.

    And my friend Sam called the other night to tell me she has parts in 2  one act plays being staged in Rockford.  One of them is the main character.  I will be excited to see her on stage.

Peace and Love


No comments:

Post a Comment