Sunday, May 26, 2024

changing times

 I have always loved newspapers


    When I was in seventh grade, at least I think it was seventh, I inherited a paper route.

    This was a little different type of route.  It was in a factory.

    I would handle  the Daily News and Chicago American.  The papers sold for 7 cents.  I paid 5 cents, so I made 2 cents on every paper.

    Actually I made more because lots of times people would just give me a dine and not take change.  When the papers raised their prices to 10 cents, they charged me 7 and while I made more money per paper, I lost that 3 cent tip. 

    I would set up a little table at both entrances to the factory and when the workers left, they could buy an evening edition.

    I also delivered papers throughout the factory, leaving them at desks in the office area.

    What the route did was give me money for nickel Cokes, greasy French fries, doughnuts  and eventually for college.

     It was a good gig.  

    The guy who delivered the Daily News was a big guy named Swede.  I think.  Time dims memories.  He would have me work on his truck one day a week, stuffing newspapers and also hopping off the truck to deliver papers to various news stands.

    News stands.   Most are gone now.  There was one on Ashland and Irving.  It was a shack built out of whatever the people could scrounge .  I think his name was Jin.....skinnyy man, balding, wore glasses, ....I would also work for him at times.  I would sit in the news stand and sell newspapers and racing forms.  It was right next to a bus stop, and he did a good business.

    But times have changed.

    Daily News?  Gone.  Chicago American? Gone.  News stands?  Mostly gone.

    Newspapers?  Disappearing.

    The Chicago Tribune recently moved its printing operation from a building downtown to a smaller facility in the suburbs.

    In reporting on the move, they noted in 2000 the plant was printing about 600,000 daily Tribs and 1.2 million Sunday editions.  In 2023 they were printing 73,000 daily papers and 172,000 Sunday editions.

    We all know what has happened.  People are getting their information in different ways:  on line, on tv, on social media, all sorts of different places.

    I read the Tribune on line.  But I miss the feel of a real paper, the way it crinkles in your hand, the smell of the page and ink, the ability to do a crossword or cut out coupons. And the ability to take it in the can.

    But as Dylan said, the times they are a changing.

    But I don't have to like it, do I?

Peace and Love


No comments:

Post a Comment