Saturday, January 20, 2024

What the hell?

 When ever Julia wakes me up, there is a problem


    At about 6:30 she came into the bedroom and said, "It's cold in the house.  Temp is set at 68 but it is only 61."

    While the furnace fan was running, there was no heat.

    I have warmed everyone about checking furnace vents.  I know I checked mine, but I went outside anyway.

    No snow near the vent.  Clear.  

    I put my hand down by it and found the intake tube was full of snow!  Packed tight!

    I stuck my fingers in and started pulling snow out and the furnace kicked on.

    Now, I have no idea how that happened.  

    My guess is it was been windy.  We had some light snow.  The furnace ran, drawing air in, and drawing the light snow in at the same time.  Eventually it clogged.

    Some 2 hours later, Julia said, "Furnace stopped again.  No heat."

    I went back outside and agin stuck my fingers up the tube.  But my fingers were not long enough.  I could feel ice or snow, but could not get it out.

    I got a tool I use to remove hair from sink drains.  (Side note:  I almost gag when I pull out a glob of hair. It is the most disgusting sight in the world.)

    But that did not seem to break it up either.

    So I got the wet vac, turned it on, inserted the hose and must have sucked out some snow or ice, because the furnace kicked on again.

    I went down to the basement with a hair dryer and aimed it at the plastic pipe.

    Whatever the answer was, the furnace has run fine since about 10 this morning. 

    I am thankful, because a service call on weekends is $150 minimum and I would hate to spend that for someone to tell me I had snow in my intakes. 

    After all, we all know that.

    And thanks Steve Frank for telling me my friend was a northern harrier.  It was back again looking for food.

Peace and Love





Must have been cold because it is only on 1 leg!



No comments:

Post a Comment