Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Pie Day

Today we made apple pies 


    Each year we buy apples and make a couple of pies for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Sometimes we do 3, but today we only did 2.  So far.

    When we were done, I had to wheel Jackie into the shower to get her clean.  Let's say she had a LOT of pie dough and sugar on her shirt.  And pants.  So did I.

    It was also on the floor, counters, table.....we are not neat cooks.

    A few months ago she bought some new measuring cups.  They came with a 1/4 cup measurer.

    For some reason, unknown to anyone but my inner Ruckley, I thought it was a half cup.

    So, when she said add 1/2 cup of brown sugar, I added a quarter cup.  The pies may not be as sweet as they should be.  We'll see.

    When I made supper I vowed not to make the same mistake.  So when the recipe called for 1 cup water, I used the 2 cup container and filled it to the brim.  Luckily, I caught that before mixing the boxed side dish.

    And heavens, the megamillions is up to 700 million.  I had to buy a ticket for the Tuesday night drawing.

    So I got Jackie comfortable, drove into town, bought my ticket and realized that drawing is tomorrow night.  

    All that made supper a little late, but it tasted great!   I made Iowa chops from Headon's.  These are porkchops that are at least 1 inch thick.  I brown them on the stove, then stick them in the oven for 20 minutes.  I do check the pork's temperature.  They are always so tasty and tender.  Plus, we don't eat a whole chop, so we have leftovers for Thursday.

    So here I am.  Floor washed, counters clean, table wiped down, dirty clothes in the washer........and I am a bit tired.  Julia and I still have to move some furniture because tomorrow we are having our area rugs cleaned.

    And the furnace guy is coming at 8:30.

    And the generator guy is coming tomorrow at 6.

    At least I won't have to run into town for a lottery ticket.  And I don't have rehearsal.

    I just hope I can remember my line for this weekend.


Peace and Love



No comments:

Post a Comment