Saturday, October 8, 2022

location, location, location

I always gave an extra credit question to my class 


    On Oct. 8, 1871, a huge fire killed over 1,000 people.  What was the name of that fire?

    Not a lot of kids actually answered, and few got it correct.  Many asked their parents and they gave the Great Chicago Fire as the answer.

    Wrong, dragon breath.

    The Great Peshtigo Fire was the same day as the Chicago Fire.  But Peshtigo, located in northern Wisconsin, did not have the location, size, or communications Chicago had.

    The Pestigo fire killed somewhere between 1,200 and 2,000 people.  It was difficult to count, the fire was very intense.  The Chicago fire had about 300 fatalities.

    Add to the confusion, the Great Port Huron Fire and the Great Michigan Fire also happened on Oct, 8, 1871.

    It had been a very dry summer.  I don't think the exact cause of any of the fires has been determined.

    It was not a cow that kicked over a lantern.  Probably more likely someone who fells asleep in a barn while smoking that caused the Chicago blaze.

    Peshtigo people pointed to railroad crews who often burned off downed trees as they laid rail.

    And some speculate a comet left a debris trail that hit the earth with flaming meteroites.  

    Years ago I made a stop at the Peshtigo Fire Museum.  It is pretty small, located in a former church.  Next to the museum is a cemetery where a mass grave with over 500 victims are laid to rest.  

    I bought a booklet by a minister who survived the fire, but I have long since lost that.  I remember he hid in a well as the flames roared around him.  Others hid in a river.  There were fire tornadoes in the air, which spread the fire quickly.

    When I was at the museum, I remember another person coming in, looking around, and then asking the volunteer, "Why don't you have more stuff from the fire?"  She looked at him and answered simply, "It all burned."

    In all, 17 communities were destroyed.  

    But Chicago, because it was big amd had communication with the rest of the world, was the big news.  If I remember, a relief effort was conducted by Milwaukee citizens for Chicago, but not for the people in their state because no one had heard about the Peshtigo blaze.

    Fire Prevention Week is also the week containing Oct. 8.  At least I think it still is that week, but I don't hear much about it since I am not teaching.

    That's it.

Peace and Love





No comments:

Post a Comment