Friday, June 26, 2020

day....how many?......102

I have ignored a challenge....on purpose

     About 5 weeks ago, a friend challenged me to show my 15 favorite albums on Facebook.  Just a picture, no explanation.
     I thought it would be easy.
     Here's how it went:
     Well, I can't name all Beatles albums, so I would go with Meet the Beatles, Rubber Soul, Sgt. Pepper and the White Album.  11 to go.
     I also am a Stones fan, and Aftermath is a great album from their early days. 10 to go.
     I think I was a senior in high school when I heard this really weird white Levi's commercial.  I called WLS and asked if they knew the group.  They did not.  I called WJJD and they did....a West Coast group called Jefferson Airplane and they just released their first album.   I went out that day to buy it.  I fell in love with Grace Slick and Surrealistic Pillow.  I still love it.  9 to go.
     How could I ignore Bob Dylan and his self titled album followed by Freewheeling.  My dad would come into the living room when Dylan was on and growl, "What the hell is that crap?"  I was probably a freshman in high school, and Dylan resulted in me taking guitar lessons.  But I discovered you need to practice to play.   I didn't.  7 to go.
     Where was Dylan without folk poppers Simon and Garfunkel with Monday Morning 3 a.m. and Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme?  5 to go.
Mommas and Poppas....California Dreaming.  4 to go.
     Chicago Transit Authority, now called simply Chicago.  Saturday in the Park, Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?   From their self titled first album, I believe.  I borrowed it from a friend and never returned it.  3 to go.
     I used to work at a National Tea food store.  Got the job when I was 16.  Tuesday night was stock night, and we worked late.  First night I was given a hand truck and a load of soup.  My boss, Nick, asked if I had ever used a hand truck.  I smirked and said of course.  Seconds later Nick and Willy were laughing their asses off as they freed me from the pile of soup that toppled over onto me because I really had no idea how to use one.  I still have the scar. 
     When I got home, I would listen to Franklin McCormack.  He did a schmaltzy overnight show and combined music, poetry, philosophy, which I enjoyed while eating a late supper.
     He also played Sinatra.  So a greatest hits from Old Blue Eyes has to be on the list, especially one with It's Quarter to Three.  2 to go.
     Easy.  Greatest Hits of Chuck Berry.  (Dan and I saw him live in St. Louis when Chuck was maybe 85...still put on a great show!)  And Buddy Holly and the Crickets.  And Elvis.
     But what about Pink Floyd and Dark Side of the Moon?
     And the Kingston Trio's At Large still sticks with me, especially Charley and The MTA, Tom Dooley, and They Call the Wind Mariah.
     Or Soundtracks!   Oklahoma, Sound of Music.  South Pacific.
     Now I'm at plus 8.
     Spoken albums.  Bob Newhart and his Buttoned Down Mind.  Bill Cosby and Why is There Air?  (Yes, it is funny, despite what he did later in life.)  Anything by Stan Freeberg, but especially History of the United States which I only heard once and never owned.
     Classics?  Gotta have them!  The 1812 Overture with real cannons that made the house shake when I turned up the volume.  Or Yo Yo Ma and his cello on Silk Road.  And I go to sleep with Coyote Oldman and his Native American flute.
     OMG!  Jimmy Buffet and Margaritaville!   Or Changes in Latitues.   Laura Nyro and  Christmas and the Beads of Sweat.  Judy Collins and Wildflowers.  Harry Chapin!  (Had two of his albums and saw him in person at the Cornado Theater in Rockford doing a benefit for John B. Anderson whenJ John ran for president.  (An amazing storyteller. ...Haryy, nto John B.)   Tea for the Tillerman from Cat Stevens, who changed his name when he comverted to Islam and suddenly radio stations started burning his records.  The Monkees. 
     I get so exhausted mentally trying to narrow it down to 15.
     But I enjoy the process.  And the challenge.  And the voyage down memory lane.
     So, thanks for the challenge....but my poor overloaded mind just can't handle making a decision.
     Stay healthy.  Stay safe.  Wear a mask.
Peace and Love



No comments:

Post a Comment