Saturday, May 25, 2019

farmer in the dell

I almost got my garden planted today

     Peas are in and I see sprouts.  I put in two tomato plants and  two peppers.  I redid my strawberries and hopefully will get a lot his year. I planted rhubarb.
     As a kid we used to ask, "think the rain will hurt the rhubarb?" and the answer was "Not if it's in a can!"  For some reason, we found this hilarious.  Or maybe it was just me......
     I still have two kinds of beans to plant and cucumbers.  It is getting hard to get it done with the rain and all.  Now I know how farmers feel ... the frustration of not being able to get the seeds in the ground because of the rain.
     Obviously, I am not comparing myself to a farmer.  Just making a point.
For me, not getting my beans in is not a major deal in my life.  But if you are a farmer, not getting the beans or corn in can make the difference between making money and losing the farm.  That's a huge difference.
     I know a couple of farmers.  One of them told me he had 500 acres planted and another 1,800 to go.  That seems like a lot of planting to do.  He told me this two weeks ago and while there were some breaks in the weather, planting has to be slow and spotty.
     So, will the rain hurt the rhubarb?
     I don't know, but I hope it stops so farmers can do their jobs.
Peace and Love

No comments:

Post a Comment