Wednesday, July 18, 2018

the only thing we have to fear......

I don't think I have ever grown up

     And I mean that in a negative way.
     Little kids are afraid of lots of things..... but hey eventually grow out of them.
     I have not.
     What am I afraid of?
     Here's a partial list.
Doctors
Dentists
Getting a tattoo
Heights
Crossing bridges
Flying
Driving fast
Psycho
Guns
Nuclear war
Plagues
Being left out
Missing out
Poisonous snakes
Alligators and crocodiles
Bears
Cancer
Stroke
Swimming in water deeper than 4 feet
Drunken drivers
Gangs
Burglars
Blood tests
Alzheimer's
Tornadoes
Lightning
Doing anything with electricity besides turning on lights and plugging stuff in
Elevators in really tall buildings
Ticks
     Quite a lengthy list, and that was just off the top of my head.
     I know, some of you are rolling your eyes and saying, "Sure.  wink wink."
     I freak out when standing by windows in tall buildings.  I once left a camping trip because there was a report of a bear in the area and every snap of a twig, or falling leaf, put me into a sweat.  I sedate myself before getting on a plane.  For years we never went west because it meant crossing the Mississippi.  I only drove to Mackinaw Island by going up the west side of the lake.  Once we went up the east side.  But I never cross the bridge.  I tried, but just could not do it.
     Most of these fears are totally irrational.....until a bridge collapses, or a guy gets eaten by a bear while camping, or a tornado destroys your house, or .... you get the picture.
     But I am 70 now.  Shouldn't I be able to put away these fears?  Overcome them?
     Geez, I wish I could.  I really do.
   
   
   




No comments:

Post a Comment