Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Terry does Dulles

I had a long experience at Dulles airport

     I did not use the word bad or good.   I arrived in Dulles at about 2:45, plenty of time to catch my 5:01 flight to Chicago.
     I claimed my luggage, went through customs, rechecked my luggage and looked for the information board to confirm my flight left from gate C51, which is really close to the entrance.
     Well, a glance at the board showed my  flight was moved to gate C2, which is at the far end of the airport.  And it was delayed 25 minutes.
     I wandered down to C2, saw a store selling Starbucks, had a coffee....plenty of time still to catch my now 5:26 flight.  Settle back down at C2 .
     I figured I had about 3 hours to kill and maybe some crossword puzzles or a book would be a good way to while away the hours.
     I stopped at a newsstand type place.
     They didn't have crossword puzzle books.
     I walked a little more.  Found a second story at the entrance of D that sold pencils, but no puzzles.
     I returned to C2 only to be notified the gate was now D 23, which I had just walked half way to in search of a crossword book.
     I asked the lady at the counter how I got to D23.  She said just walk down the corridor.
     "It's a long walk,"  she said.  "A really long walk,"
     And she was right.  C2 was on one end, D23 on the other.  It was a nice walk.
     In hindsight, I should have bought the pencils when I found them.  Because the next three stores of that ilk either had crossword puzzle books or not, but none had pens.
     Plus my flight was delayed  to 7:30.  Then 7:54, which proved to be the final delay and about the time we actually took off.
     I figured by the time I went to bed I had been awake 23 hours.
     I was up at 6 this morning, and I have an idea that sleep will be difficult with the fireworks and thunder......I have never been in a war zone, but I imagine it must sound something like I am now hearing.
    Anyway, got home.  Safe.  Sound. 
    And that's the story I am sticking with.
     Now it's bedtime,  I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment