Thursday, January 28, 2016

no thanks

I read recently that people could live to be over 120

     I don't think I would want that....and I don't think society would either.
     Yes, we all enjoy life.  But 100 is old.  People start to run out of money.   And family.  And friends.
     New medications could prevent two of those things from happening, but money will always be an issue.
     Stories like that always make me thing of the past and the future.
     When I was a kid, The Jetsons were on tv.  I pictured a world of domed cities, monorails, flying cars, meals cooked in seconds.
     Some of that came true.  There are monorails and meals cooked in seconds, and Dick Tracy's wrist watch was a forerunner of the Apple watch.
     But a larger, older population causes all sorts of issues:
     An increasing number of left turn signals left on by motorists.
     A shortage of white gym shoes.
     A growing Depends industry.
     Delicious soft foods in easy open packages.
     More calls for tech help from older parents who just don't get the new fangled technology they have in their households.  (By the way, Em or John....how do I program my phone for the car.  I run trough 5 minutes of directions and get a message that says consult your phone's owner's manual.  Do I have an owner/s manual?  Was I supposed to read it ?  Keep it??  And how do I download an app?)
     I do marvel at the changes today's seniors have seen in their lives.
     Being100 is common, which means those people lived through some of our nation's most difficult times.  A depression, a great war, the civil rights struggle, interstate highways, computers, cell phones, television, going to the moon, space travel.  The magnitude of change  they have seen we probably, and in the case of a world war, hopefully will never experience.
     But living to 100, or 120, or longer?
     Not for me.
     I'm just shooting for 68.....I'll go from there.


No comments:

Post a Comment