Thursday, July 16, 2015

odds and ends

I learned something almost new today

     I was listening to the 60s channel on Sirius today when the announcer said the greatest selling record in rock and roll history was released 50 years ago tomorrow.  Still popular today, sold more records than any other song.
     Satisfaction, by the Stones.
     My first thought was:  Oh my gawd....50 years ago I was 17 and pops was probably yelling at me to turn that crap down!
     Half a century!
     I remember the debate back then...who was better, Beatles or Rolling Stones?  It seemed to occupy our teen aged hormonal crazed minds more than the tight sweaters Miss Vickie wore in geography class.
     50 years.  Think of what has been invented since then.  Cell phones, personal computers, the Internet, artificial limbs and organs.... wait, that is Jagger dancing.  He is 72 this month.  All those World Series the Cubs have played in.   I can't believe how time has passed me by.
     And I still debate which band is better.  I love the driving bluesy style of the Stones.  There is a certain hard edged rebellious side to their music.
     But I love the Fab Four.  Their harmonies, rhythms, chances they took.  Listen to Sgt. Peppers and you realize how great they were.
     The debate goes on.
     The second thing I learned was....if people respond on Google to this blog, I get an e mail from them!  I just read one from Rene about Tuscany, one from Pat about my underwear, and one from Daws telling me to have a great time.......
     I NEVER KNEW!!
     People probably think, "Terry, you ignorant slut"......wait a minute, wrong show turned in just now.
     People probably think I am a snob.  No, just ignorant of the ways of the computer!
     There is a little section called comments and if you click on them, there they are.
     Poignant post....one was from my cousin Sally, who was here last summer and died last September from cancer.
      By the miracles of the Internet, she spoke to me tonight.  One last time.
     When she was young, she too loved the Stones.  And the Beatles.
     50 years.  Seems like yesterday, now it seems so far away, I believe in yesterday.
     Anyway, now I know to occasionally check my g mail comments section.
     Night, mates.


No comments:

Post a Comment