Saturday, February 27, 2021

day....happy birthday......357

We celebrated a special birthday today 


    Vince Carney Community Theater celebrated its 40th birthday today. 

    I was not part of the original group that formed VCCT, but I have been around a long time.  Long time.   Really long time.

    I think there are 5 of us who are still active and have been involved with the group since the early 80s.

    The group made a video featuring shots from all the shows....and I was surprised at the number of shows I had forgotten being in either on stage or as part of the support group with directing, set construction, publicity or whatever.

    True story.  No reason to say that because all my stories are true.  Mostly.

    I was a first year teacher.  There was an institute for Lee an Ogle County teachers at Dixon Hgh School.  An improv group from Chicago came out to entertain after the morning meetings.

    At some point they asked for a volunteer rom the audience and I raised my hand.  They called me on stage.  I had never been on stage in my life.....but I don't remember being scared, just invigorated.

    The bit they were doing featured questions from the audience.  Each member of the group then gave one word responses to form a sentence to answer the question.  It is a bit we do in our Exit 99 shows, and many improv groups do it.

    The group was answering questions and I filled in a word when it came to me.  It seems after a question, the group rotated so that 5 became 4 and so on.

    Someone in the audience asked: "Why does Nancy Reagan always wear red?"

    You have to remember....Dixon.....Ronald Regan's boyhood home.

    I was the fifth person in the line.  The answer went                     Because.....She....Is....A.....Communist (Me).

    The audience broke up.

    A couple of more questions went on and then we were asked:  "What advice do you have for  a new teacher?"

    The answer went: Always.....Check......Your Zipper (Me)

    Even the improv group members cracked up and I did apolgize for using 2 words and breaking the rules.

    I had never felt what I felt tnen ever in my life.  It was great!

    I love being on stage.  I love performing with our improv group.  This Covid is killing me because we can't do anything.  

    I look forward to the day Exit 99 gets in front of an audience and we get to make people laugh again.

    Or we stage a play that makes people laugh, or cry, or think, or get away from the problems of the world.

    Theater is so important in our lives.......and I am so glad to have been a part of VCCT for all these years.

    Stay healthy.  Stay safe.  Keep laughing.

    Peace and Love

And now...some virtual party photos!!!!



hats


noisemakers


cake!



No comments:

Post a Comment