Sunday, January 14, 2018

snow no show

Will it snow, or won't it?

     I can't seem to get a firm grip on the forecast.  We are either going to get one inch, or 5.  And it will keep on snowing until :  a, mid morning; b, noon; c, Monday night; or d, it stops.
     My bet is d.
     A friend in Minnesota posted a  weather meme that said they were going to get between 1 and 47 inches of snow.  I thought it was funny, Dan.  Thanks for sharing.
     Had a strange experience last night.
     I tend not to talk to strangers on the street.  For one reason, most of them are crazy mad.  A second reason is I never know what to say.  Try starting a conversation with an adult by saying, "Knock Knock."  That is my ability level when engaging strangers...I am done after hello.
     Any way, this guy was with three other people.  It was very cold.  They were having a cigarette break from a night of obviously more than social drinking.
     He said to me, "Do you live in Rochelle?"  I figured he was not familiar with the area and was looking for some information.
     I said yes, and he answered, "Why?"
     I did not come up with a good answer. 
    We've been here since 1971 or so.  We never intended to stay.  This was a stop for Jackie to finish school and earn her degree.  Then we would move on to newspaper/teaching jobs in a bigger town, or a different state.  We were young, and the world was our oyster.
     Funny how life works out when you are living it.
    The guy turned out to be from Rochelle, in fact I knew a couple of his family members.  We talked for about 5 minutes.  My teeth were chattering even though I was in a coat, but his antifreeze was good for 20 below....mine wasn't.
    I got to do things in Rochelle I could never have done in a big city.  I have been involved in about 30 plays, performed in an improv comedy group,  do a column in the paper, once in a while write for a local magazine.  I am not a stranger.
     I enjoy the pace of life, my kids did well in the schools here, generally we don't feel threatened walking down the street.
     All good things.
     To be honest, I do miss Chicago.  I miss the entertainment, the museums, the restaurants, the neighborhoods.
     And honestly, I spend too much of my time wondering what if.
     But that's all kind of hard to say to someone you don't know, on a freezing night.
     Next time I will have a better answer.







No comments:

Post a Comment