Sunday, October 9, 2016

baby, that's orange

I cleaned up the garden today

     I admit, I have not paid much attention to it for three weeks, maybe four.  Or 5.
     I did pick the last of the green beans, and we had them for supper.  This was the second planting.  They were a little tough.  Actually, they were a lot tough.
     I have a bunch of green peppers.  I think we are going to have stuffed peppers tomorrow night, and may have a couple that we can core and freeze for stuffed peppers later.
     I have a few red tomatoes, and a lot of green tomatoes.  I heard they are great fried, but someone isn't excited about trying them.
     It was the carrots that filled me with the most anticipation.  I love carrots.
     I sow my carrots.  I don't plant them in rows, I just scatter the seeds in an area.
     Next year I have to scatter less seeds.  And I have to thin my crop.
     I have a lot of carrots that fall into the baby carrot category.  Not big enough to scrape and freeze, but big enough to not toss.
     Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of big carrots because I didn't thin them out and they just grew too close together.
     I also had some white and yellow carrots.  I did not keep them.  They just looked weird.
     So tomorrow we will spend part of the day scraping, slicing, blanching, bagging and freezing the carrot crop of 2016.  I think there will be enough for the winter, but it is hard to tell.  Once we get them sorted it'll be a lot easier.
     There are still a few green peppers on the plants.....figured I would let them soak up the sun and warmth for a few days and maybe get a little bigger.
     And if it is nice, I will get the mowing done first before working on the carrots.
     Fall is in the air.  I can smell it.  So I better get going on my summer projects before it is too late!


No comments:

Post a Comment