Wednesday, October 28, 2015

going, going, gone!

I used to love to cross country ski

     Jackie and I would go out into the park and make a loop, falling down, laughing and working up a sweat.
     I don't think I have been out on skis for at least 10 years.  My boots developed holes, and I never replaced them.
     But that has not prevented me from moving three sets of cross country skis from Mill Pond, to Skare Court, to Emily's basement, and finally to my garage.
     Funny...the skis survived the tornado.  Of all the stuff she had in her house, my three sets of unused skis made it out intact.
     So they have been sitting in my garage since April.
     I know I will never use them....god knows Jackie will never use them.  Not unless we can put runners on her walker.
     So last week I called the Lutheran Outdoors Ministries Center in Oregon.  They do a variety of programs for school kids throughout the school year. I asked if they would be interested in three pairs of skis, no boots, no guarantee their condition.
     They said yes.
     So I took the skis over there today.
     Now, I thought I talked to a guy named Chris.  But there is no Chris there.  A man named Russ talked to an Andrew who had some skis he was willing to donate.
     Folks, I am not the only one with a problem remembering names.
     Now all is good.  A few more items have gone out of my possession.
     I let them go, despite the memories of skiing with Ann, Steve, Jane, Jackie and whomever owned the third set of skis.
     Hear that?  I let them go.
     It's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment