Sunday, September 21, 2014

Uncle Dougie, go away!

I won't see my favorite Uncle Dougie for 7 months

     Parting is such sweet sorrow.
     We parted with a bad feeling though, in more than one way.
     It was fairly messy.  When I finally wiped my hands of it, not only were they red, they were sticky.
     And I admit, the whole affair left me with a bad taste in my mouth and maybe will require a Tums.  Or four.
     Who is Uncle Dougie? you ask.
     Not who, but what.
    Uncle Dougie is a pulled barbecue pork sandwich served on kaiser roll with a sprinkling of crunchy fried onions over the meat.  A quarter of a dill pickle is served alongside the sandwich.
It's a Wrigley treat.  But it is a mess to eat.  When I am done, my fingers are covered with sauce.
    This time my shirt escaped, but that is not usual.
     I love the ball park food.  Not the prices, but the food.
     This year I have had:  Italian sausage, buffalo burger, Uncle Dougies, a Smokie link, and a couple of decade dogs....the Reuben and I don't remember the other one.
     I only eat at the day games....by the time the night games start, I have already had food out of the park.
     If you get to Wrigley an hour before the game, you get 25 percent off at the food booths.  Except for the Smokies.
     So the $7  dog become $5.25, a much easier price to digest.  Pop is also discounted, so you can get a $16 lunch for $12, which is ok.....unless you have a family of four or five.
     Going to the game is expensive.
     Anyway, this being my last game of the season, I wanted it to be a memorable meal.  So I got an Uncle Dougie and some fries.
     Now, some seven hours later, it is in fact, memorable.
     Tums may help, but I have a feeling this is going to be an open window night.
     I had debated between an Uncle Dougie,  an Italian sausage, and a buffalo burger.  (Actually, put  walked into a bar with that and you could have a really bizarre joke.  Write your own punch line here......)
     I figured I could have the burger and the sausage at home, but the Uncle Dougie is not something I would make or Jackie would eat, so in the long run it won out.
     Too bad the Cubs didn't.
     Like I have for the last 60 years, I'll just have to wait 'til next year.
     Maybe by that time I'll be over today's Uncle Dougie!




No comments:

Post a Comment