Sunday, September 14, 2014

this is a recording

Electronics have taken over my life

     Emily and John were over yesterday installing our new thermostat.
     As you may recall, I could not set the thermostat we had.  The display was too small and too dark for an old guy like me to read. (Yes, in addition to hearing problems, my vision isn't as good as it once was.)
     Our new thermostat is a Nest.  I can control it by turning the dial.  I can also control it by sitting down at my computer and going to my Nest account, then setting the temps.  Emily can sit down at her computer in her house and change our temperatures.
     The Nest will eventually "learn" our likes and dislikes.  For example, if we set the temperatures at different levels, the thermostat will learn what we like at different times of the day and set it automatically.
     There is also a motion sensor.  If no one is detected in the house for a certain number of hours, there is a minimum/maximum temperature that the unit will maintain.
     We can also track our energy usage by visiting the web site.  We have a setting that is heat/cool so the unit will tell the furnace whether it needs to heat the house or cool the house.
     If we move, the Nest goes with us.
     Completely foolproof...so they say.
     It reminds me of the old joke.  People are in an airplane and the pilot comes on and makes this announcement:  Welcome to flight 2788, the first computer driven non piloted airplane.  No humans are in charge of this flight, it is all being control by a computer.  Sit back, relax and enjoy the flight. You are making history.  This is a recording.  This is a recording. This is a recording.  This is a.....
     You get the picture.
     Anyway, the Nest is installed.  Thank you very much.
     Now if I could just get a remote controlled lawn mower......

No comments:

Post a Comment