Monday, September 22, 2014

at the beep, leave your message

Sometimes I don't know what to say to answering machines

     It's not that I don't expect to get a real person these days.  In fact, with caller ID I am surprised anyone takes my calls.
     If I think the person will be out, I practice my message.  Seriously.  I practice what I am going to say.
     Then I never say it.
     I left a message last week that went something like this:
     Hi, this is Terry from church.  We are looking for some people to tell about their experiences....(beep)  Wow.  That was short.  (to Jackie) They have a real.......oh wait.  That was my phone beeping.  I got a text.  I guess I can finish my message.  As I was saying.......
     Sometimes I leave the wrong information.  I know the event is Sept. 9, but I'll say Sept. 8.  Or if it is Monday Sept. 9, I'll say Tuesday Sept. 9.
     I confuse people when I leave messages.
     I think there is a psychological thing to knowing you have a certain unknown amount of time to get the information out in a way it will be understood.  Pressure. Stress. I often panic.
     One time I got a recording where my friends said they were in the shower and couldn't get dry in time to get the phone.  I left a weird message, based on the fact they were two consenting adults in the shower.  I had dialed the wrong number.
      I didn't know that until I saw them and asked how their showers were and they looked at me like I was crazy.
     I don't know what our message says.  I do know there is an RV storage business with a similar phone call and we sometimes get messages asking about storing an RV.  I pass that info along to the real storage people, who I think get a little confused about the whole process.
     And one time I had to cancel a reservation for a B & B in Iowa.  Jackie had a migraine and we couldn't make it.  So I called, and left a message.
     Later that day a man from Monroe, Louisiana, called me and said it was too bad we couldn't make it to his house for a two night stay, he was looking forward to it.  I apologized, and thanked him for letting me know I needed to call the correct number to cancel the reservation.
     My message was clear on that one, but the area code was wrong.
     If it isn't one thing, it's another.


No comments:

Post a Comment