Monday, September 8, 2014

get 'em while they're hot

I sold Rotary calendars Saturday 

     I spent a couple of hours hawking the calendars outside Walmart.  Bobbie C., Ross, Karen and I were the sellers for late morning/early afternoon, and I know there were others before me and after me.
    I saw a lot of people I know....but you know how I am with names.
    I recognized Kelly, had to think which daughter was with her....it was Haley.  I know I did not spell that right...Hailey?  Haily?  I had the right name, which is unusual.
Sort of met a friend of Bobbie's who knew me, and said I knew him.  I agreed....though for the life of me I can't remember him.
     Saw a neighbor who must have had a haircut because I do not recognize her right away....I really have to look.  Then I feel like I am staring...which isn't good for an old guy like me to do when it involves a young female.
     A man from the neighborhood stopped and gave me a hard time....and at first I didn't recognize him.  I had to look into the sun to see all his facial features, but soon  I realized who he was and had a nice visit with the former state senator.
     I saw a lot of people I knew, and I would say 85 percent of them I addressed by their correct name.
     Anyway, Bobbie was there for 90 minutes, I was with her for another 90 minutes and we sold......1 (one) calendar.
     As soon as Ross showed up, people were practically throwing money at us!  I sat with Ross for about 45 minutes and I believe we sold six calendars during that time!
     Anyway, this is a commercial.  If you want, stop reading now and I won't be offended.
     Times are tough.  Families are stressed.  The Rotary calendar sales help support groups that ease that stress.  The local food pantry, a domestic abuse center, Focus House, CASA, Shining Star.
     Maybe you are not familiar with some of these.
     Shining Star works with children who have been abused.  Their figures say 1 in 4 girls, and 1 in 6 boys, will be sexually abused by the time they are 18.  Shining Star has trained counselors and volunteers that will help a child.  For example:  Say a five year old has been abused.  That child has to tell someone, who reports it to authorities.  Someone from the local police department will talk to the child.  Then DCFS gets called.  Someone from DCFS talks to the child.  The state's attorney may interview the child.  That young person, already frightened and confused, will tell the story of their abuse to strangers over and over and over.  Imagine what that can do to a five year old.....or a 13 year old.
     Shining Star provides one person to interview the child.  The other agencies' representatives  sit in a different room and watch the interview on a closed circuit TV broadcast..  The child only has to tell their story one time.
     Plus, Shining Star will help provide counseling for the child and the family.
     And that, friends, is worth the $20 the calendar costs.
     Let me know how many you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment