Tuesday, December 3, 2019

dickens be damned

I have a love/hate relationship with Charles Dickens

     I love Christmas Carol.  I read it every year, starting around Thanksgiving.  But this year I have not even gotten the book out yet.  I am still reading A Confederacy of Dunces, which is a very unusual book.  Great characters, interesting plot, wonderful use of New Orleans as a backdrop.....but it is taking a long time to get through it.  Can't seem to find the time to read lately.
     Anyway, Dickens.
     How can you not get the Christmas spirit when you read about Tiny Tim being saved because Scrooge realized life was not all about money, but family and friends and love.
     We have a lot of Department 56 Dickens Christmas Carol pieces and that is where the hate part starts.  They are hard to set up, the street lights are almost impossible to keep upright and because I am clumsy, parts are being chipped.
     Then the love drifts back in because when it is done, I love it.  Jackie loves it.  Heck, even Corki would love it if dogs had any sense.
     We finished putting out the pieces today.  Now maybe I can find time to read about Scrooge and Fred and Bob........maybe.
Peace and Love


No comments:

Post a Comment