Wednesday, September 27, 2017

feeling pretty happy

I love to say I told you so

     Months ago I said the Cubs would be in the playoffs.  Even when they were doing so lousy at the break, I said they would be there in the end.
     And they are.
     I have been a Cub fan ever since I was 8 or 9 years old.  I idolized Ernie and Ron, Sweet Swinging Billy and I admit I shed a tear when Ken Hubbs was killed in spring training. 
     I watched games in black and white with Jack Brickhouse calling the action, Pat Piper announcing the starting line ups and everybody in the stands making the "whoooooop" noise for foul balls hit up the net behind home plate.
     I fell asleep to Vince Lloyd and Jack Quinlan, the golden voice, doing games on the radio against the Dodgers and Giants.  And who can forget Lou Boudreau, Lloyd Petit, and later Harry and Stony.  Now it's JD and Len, Pat and Ron C.
     I envy Cardinal fans.  Their teams have been winners so often in the past. They have built a winning culture.
     Several years ago I started buying packs of tickets.  With Dan and John, we have watched some terrible baseball.  We sat through games that were poorly played, especially during that 102 loss season.
     We watched the kids.  Rizzo, Starlin, KB, Javy, Addy and all the other young talent developed before our eyes.
     We knew some day they would be good.  Now, they are.
     Even as our record for games attended fell to 2-6 this year, I knew they would turn it around and move on to the playoffs.
     Bring on the Nationals!!!  The Cubs are gonna be history making this year!!
     Now, gotta find my Steve Goodman album.........Go Cubs Go, Go Cubs Go, Hey Chicago what do ya say?  Cubs are gonna win today......


No comments:

Post a Comment