Friday, September 15, 2017

a day in the life

I picked up some travelers today

     No, they were not hitchhikers.
     Digression.  I was young and stupid.  I saw a girl standing aside 251, which was the main road then....no 39.  It was called just 51.  Anyway, she was by New Milford and was hitching a ride.  I thought she had a gas can in her hand, so being the  nice guy I picked her up.
     Well, it wasn't a gas can.  It was a red packing case.  I don't remember where she was going, but I left her off by Standard Oil Road in Rochelle.  It was raining, and I gave her my raincoat.
     I don't remember anything about her.  She could have been a teen run a way, but she looked older than a teen.  She may have been really cute with a vivid green mini skirt, or a nun.  Not sure anymore.
     Another time I picked up a young man nar Rockford who promptly, as I started driving, climbed over the front seat into the back seat.  He rode all the way to Rochelle back there.  The whole time, I was waiting for the knife to come through the seat or the rope to be put around my neck.  I pulled into the Vagabond parking lot and stopped the car, got out, and opened the door.  The Vagabond, where Hickory Grove is, was pretty popular and there were a lot of people walking about.  At first he didn't want to get out, but eventually he did.  I got back in the car and never picked up another hitch hiker again.
     But that's a digression.
     Picked up Emily and John at the airport.  Camryn was really happy to see her dad and I was glad to see both of them still sort of smiling.  It was a long, strange trip home indeed.
     While we were waiting for arrivals at the International Terminal, we saw all sorts of people speaking all sorts of languages and wearing all sorts of clothes.
     I am always touched by the family reunions I see there; kids hugging parents, brothers embracing, sisters crying.  It's a very moving space.
     Tonight I wondered how many of these people will feel unwelcome in a country where haters parade with Nazi flags and assault rifles draped around their necks.
     I hope their visits are joyful and they can return home and tell of a terrific time in the United States, where they met people who were welcoming, friendly, and kind.
     And I hope they don't pick up any hitch hikers, just to be safe.
     Just wondering:  Would anyone pick up a hitch hiking clown?  I'd just keep driving...fast!
     I think the Starbucks is kicking in........




No comments:

Post a Comment