Saturday, September 12, 2015

that makes no sense

I may be measurement impaired

    When I ride my bike to the end of Shagbark Lane and back, I go about one mile.  The mile actually clicks just before the driveway.
    When I drive around the subdivision, I go about 2.2 miles, according to my trusty odometer and its trip meter.
    So today, I rode a different way.  I went up Skare to Fowler.  Then down Fowler to Emily's road, then up Emily's road.  It was 1.1 miles to Emily's house.
    That doesn't seem right.  Riding to the end of my street and back is the same as riding to Emily"s?
Huh.
    Then I measured 2.2 miles.  I circled her subdivision and then went east on Fowler.  I was at Center Road when I hit 2.2 miles.
    So, to recap:  Riding a loop around my subdivision is about the same as riding from my house to Center Road.
    Unbelievable!
    Two loops around my subdivision brings me to Kyte Road and Westwood subdivision.
    In other words, I rode 4.4 miles on country roads, with traffic flying past at lord knows how many miles an hour, and it was the same as riding around my subdivision on quiet, barely travelled roads two times?  Plus I could take a bathroom break if I needed one!
    Not that I ever need one when riding.
    That was an eye opener!
    Next ride out here will be around my subdivision, over to Childer's Acres, back to my subdivision, around it again, then into the house for coffee.
    It may not be as scenic, but it is much safer!
    The other weird thing.  I can leave my house go around the subdivision, ride to Childer's Acres and return.....and it is almost the same as riding the bike path in town.
    I guess when you straighten out roads, they are a lot farther than you think.
    I don't want to think about other measurements I have been wrong about.
    So I will go go bed now.


No comments:

Post a Comment